Alamo Post 2, The American Legion (Est. 1919)


Veterans' Programs and Services



Department of Veterans Affairs: 

Manage your VA benefits, message your doctor, access your health care and more!


Department of Veterans Affairs: 

Board of Veteran's Appeals 


Texas Veterans Commission (TVC): 

Apply for Disability Compensation or a rate increase 





General Military Information

Military Academies:

United State Military Academy:  www.usma.edu
United States Naval Academy:   www.nadn.navy.mil
United States Merchant Marine Academy: www.usmma.edu
United States Coast Guard Academy:  www.cga.edu
United States Air Force Academy:  www.usafa.af.mil
United States Air Force ROTC:  www.afoats.af.mil

Cemetaries and Memorials  

Arlington National Cemetery:    http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org
Fort Sam Houston National Cemetary, San Antonio, TX:  https://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/ftsamhouston.asp
National World War II Memorial: www.wwiimemorial.comArizona
Korean War Veterans Memorial: www.nps.gov/kowa
Vietnam Veterans Memorial:  www.nps.gov/vive/index.htm
Memorial Museum Association:  www.nps.gov/usar
United State Air Force Museum: www.wpafb.af.mil/museum
American Memorial Park:    www.nps.gov/amme/main.htm


Congressional Medal Of Honor Society: www.cmohs.org
Purple Heart Foundation https://purpleheartfoundation.org/


The following information was published on Military.com on 15 May 2020 


Under  certain circumstances, military veterans who served between 1940 and  2001 can be credited for special extra earnings for Social Security  purposes. These  extra earnings may help you qualify for Social Security or increase the  amount of your Social Security benefit.  Depending on the length and  time frame of military service, some veterans may find that the benefit  increase may be minimal. 


Note:   These special extra earnings are granted for periods of active duty or  active duty for training.  Special extra earnings are not granted for inactive duty training. 


Social Security cannot add these extra earnings to your record until you file for Social Security benefits. 


Here's How It Works: The  information that follows applies only to active duty military service  earnings from 1940 through 2001.  The program adds to your overall  income factor and may have little affect on your actual monthly Social  Security benefit, as the increased earnings does not equate to an equal  increase in monthly benefits.  Here is how the special extra earnings are credited: 


Service in 1978 through 2001 For  every $300 in active duty basic pay, you are credited with an  additional $100 in earnings up to a maximum of $1,200 a year.  If you  enlisted after September 7, 1980, and did not complete at least 24  months of active duty or your full tour, you may not be able to receive  the additional earnings.  Check with Social Security for details. 


Service in 1957 through 1977 You are credited with $300 in additional earnings for each calendar quarter in which you received active duty pay. 


Note:  The increased earnings does not equate to an equal increase in monthly benefits.   


Service in 1940 through 1956  If  you were in the military during this period, including attendance at a  service academy, you did not pay Social Security taxes.  However, your  Social Security record may be credited with $160 a month in earnings for  military service from September 16, 1940 through December 31, 1956, under the following circumstances:


  • You  were honorably discharged after 90 or more days of service, or you were  released because of a disability or injury received in the line of  duty; or
  • You are still on active duty; or
  • You are applying for survivor benefits and the veteran died while on active duty.



You  cannot receive credit for these special extra earnings if you are  already receiving a federal benefit based on the same years of service.   There is one exception:  if you were on active duty after 1956, you can  still get the special earnings for 1951 through 1956, even if you are  receiving a military retirement based on service during that period. 


Contact Information

Social Security Administration

Visit the Social Security Administration Website for the latest information on benefits for military service.

Contacting Social Security:


  • Call the toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213
  • If you live outside the United States, see http://www.ssa.gov/foreign/ or call  410-965-0160 
  • By Mail: Social Security Administration
    Office of Earnings & International Operations
    P.O. Box 17775
    Baltimore, Maryland  21235-7775